This camera manual library is for reference and historical purposes,
all rights reserved.
This page is copyright by M. Butkus, N.J.
This page may not be sold or distributed without the expressed permission of the producer
I have no connection with Chinon Co., Japan
If you find this manual useful, how about a donation of $3 to:
M. Butkus, 29 Lake Ave., High Bridge, NJ 08829-1701
This will help me to continue to host this site, buy new manuals, and pay their shipping costs.
It'll make you feel better, won't it?
Back to my Camera Manuals page
CLICK HERE FOR PDF FILE MADE FROM THIS PAGE
1 Film Winder Coupler
2 Rewinding Pin
3 Electrical Pin Connectors
4 Body Power Supply Contact
5. Guide Pin4www.butkus.org
6 Remote Control Socket
7 Battery Container Detachable Button
8 Battery Container
9 Attachment Screw
10. Action Lamp
11 Shutter Release Button
12 shutter Release Lock
13. C/S Indicator Lamp
14 Interval Timer Dial
15 Pre-Set Counter Dial
16. C/S Dial
17 . Rewind Lever
18 Tripod Socket
CHINON CE-4, CE-4s, & Series "5" SLR.
Approx. 0.5 sec.4www.butkus.org
Shutter Speed Range
Power Source - OFF;
Single Frame - S; continuous -
* Pre-Set Counter
0, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20&24 frame
Red indicator Lamp for "S" and "C"
Release Button or Winder Shutter
Accessory Switch is available
Computerized Auto-Stop device when the film is finished
* PW- 600 only
INSTALLING THE BATTERIES
2. Load the Battery Container with four (4) AA size (Penlite) 1.5 volt Alkaline Batteries. The correct positioning of the positive (+) and negative (-) ends of each battery is shown in the container. When a fresh set of batteries are installed, a minimum of 20 rolls of 36 exposure films can be used at room temperature. Replace with a fresh set of batteries when the motor in the power winder stops running.
If the motor stops during the film transport, it indicates that the batteries have insufficient power to drive the motor. Immediately, replace the batteries with a fresh set.4www.butkus.org
Install the batteries correctly to avoid malfunction of the Power Winder and to avoid the possibility of the batteries leaking.
ATTACHING TO THE CAMERA
2. Insert the guide pin into the pin receptacle located on the bottom of the camera. Align the attachment screw to the tripod socket of the camera and rotate the attachment screw clockwise until the Power Winder is securely fastened to the camera body (Fig. 3).
NOTE: Normal Use
2. Each time the shutter release button is depressed single frame shooting will result. The film will automatically be advanced one frame and the shutter will be cocked ready for the next exposure.
2 Continuous shooting will result as long as the shutter release button is depressed.
3. The actual frame per second rate will depend on such factors as the interval timer and the pre-set counter. See "Interval Timer" and "Pre-set Counter" for further explanation.
The Chinon Power Winder employs an electronic LED (red) which illuminates when the shutter is tripped and during the instant the film is automatically advanced. This action light confirms that the Power Winder and camera are functioning properly.
PRE-SET COUNTER (PW-610 only)
Because of the special computerized memory chip built in to the Chinon Power Winder it is now possible to preselect a predetermined amount of frames that can be shot continuously.
1. Set the C/S Dial to the "C" position.NOTE: When the pre-set counter is used, check the remaining film In the camera. If the desired amount of frames are greater than the amount of frames remaining in the film, the counter will automatically stop at the end of the roll.
2. Set the pre-set counter to the number of desired frames for continuous shooting (Fig. 6).
3. Depress the shutter release button on the camera.
* While taking pictures in the continuous shooting mode, the film advance will stop automatically regardless of the pre-set counter if your finger is removed from the shutter release button.
* As soon as the shutter release button is depressed again the counter starts from the beginning. For example, should you set the pre-set counter to 8, depress the shutter release button and remove your finger after the 5th frame has been exposed. Then depress the shutter release button again. The counter will automatically start from the beginning and another 8 frames will be exposed.4www.butkus.org
* When the desired amount of frames are exposed, the Power Winder will stop automatically after advancing the film one additional frame.
* In the case where the Power Winder stops, check both the Frame Counter on the camera and the preset counter on the Power Winder. If the pre-set counter or the film in the camera has not reached the end, replace the batteries with a fresh set.
As mentioned previously, because of the latest electronic
technologies incorporated in the Chinon Power Winder and because of its
special computerized memory chip it is now possible to shoot "time-lapse"
photography by means of the special built-in interval timer.
1. Set the C/S Dial to the "C" position.
3. Keep the shutter release button depressed on the camera or locked into the continuous shooting position.4www.butkus.org
4. A desired number of frames can be exposed automatically when used with the pre-set counter and the interval timer.
Neither the pre-set counter nor the interval timer can be used in the "S" position.
Remote control photography can be accomplished with your new Power Winder by means of the special remote control accessory switch available from your CHINON dealer (Fig. 8).
1. Set the C/S Dial to the off position.
2. Set the remote control switch to the off position
and plug it into the remote control socket of your Power
3. Set the C/S Dial to either the "C" or "S" position.4www.butkus.org
C/S Dial set at the "C" position
The operating manner is the same as previously described.
NOTE: When the C/S Dial is set at the S position
do not use the Pre-Set Counter or the Interval Timer as these two features
only function when the C/S Dial is set at the C position.
Continuous shooting will result as long as the remote control switch is set in the on position.
C/S Dial set at the "S" position
For single frame exposure, the Remote Control switch is set to the on position. A frame will be exposed each time the remote control switch is turned on.
NOTE: If you use Chinon Wireless Controller which is available as an optional accessory, you can control this Power Winder remotely at a distance of approx. 40 meters (13.12 Ft.).
REWINDING THE FILM
2. Push up the rewind lever as indicated by the arrow mark on the Power Winder and rewind the film by turning the rewind crank in a clockwise direction on the camera (Fig. 9).
3. Process the film without delay.
CONTINUOUS SHOOTING LOCK
When used for continuous shooting with the Pre-set
counter and Interval Timer, the shutter release button
can be pressed down and locked for continuous shooting (Fig. 10).
2. When new film is loaded in the camera, advance the film manually for one frame or re-set the C/S Dial.
3. If the Power Winder is not in use, the C/S Dial should be returned to the off position. If the Power Winder is not in use for a long period of time, remove the batteries from the unit.
4. The dials on the power winder should be set with clicked position.
The Chinon Power Winder is provided with a tripod socket so that it may be secured to a tripod (Fig. 11).
CAMERA BODY POWER SUPPLY CONTACT
When mounted to CHINON cameras designed with body power supply contact, the winders supply and serve as the power source to camera body (Fig. 12).
USE WITH CHINON CM-5
When using the PW-600 and 610 power winders with the CM-5, only single frame advance is possible. Furthermore, the power winders will only advance the film when the camera's shutter release is depressed and released. The shutter release button on the power winder's built-in grip is non-functional when used with the CM-5.
2. Care should be taken to avoid depressing the shutter release on the power winder grip when depressing the camera's shutter release as the power winder will not advance the film when the button is kept depressed.
3. The interval timer and the preset counter (PW-600) are non-functional when used with the CM-5.
4. Do not attempt to use the remote control socket when the power winder is used in conjunction with the CM-5.